How to Gua Sha for Beautiful Skin
Are you getting in on the beautiful skin benefits of gua sha? We are talking a gentler version of the gua sha massage for body, here. And you are going to love what it does for your complexion.
You’ve probably noticed those pretty little crystal tools popping up in online beauty stories. Maybe you’ve also seen them in the skincare section of our shop. Think of it this way … that jade beauty roller your skin is crazy about? Gua sha (pronounced “gwa sa”) is the next level of facial massage.
These smooth, round-edged crystals, made from rose quartz and jade, are designed to rev up a glowing appearance, release feelings of toxicity, and help skincare sink into skin. Many even experience an improvement in the appearance of breakouts and wrinkles. With regular use the complexion looks firmer, smoother, and brighter.
The History of Gua Sha
Gua sha (literal translation is “scraping”) is an ancient Chinese therapy associated with acupuncture and cupping. “Sha” refers to disease of the meridians (pathways of vital energy that flow throughout the body) and gua sha was originally used to remove these blocks and the discomfort they produce. When done on the body, deeper fascia is warmed and stimulated, boosting circulation and lymphatic drainage, and eliminating fluid and toxin build up.
Gua Sha Benefits
The practice of using gua sha on the face is done with a gentler touch than a gua sha body massage, but the effects are the same. A beauty treatment that not only improves skin’s appearance but relieves feelings of tension too. Win, win!
We know that keeping stress in check and eliminating toxins from the body as much as possible is vital to keeping the complexion healthy and looking its best. And as with exercise and meditation, gua sha has a cumulative effect and should be done regularly for best results.
How to Gua Sha
First, choose your stone. Beyond color preference and how the stone will look sitting on your bathroom vanity, both stones have powerful attributes.
Rose quartz is said to lower feelings of stress and tension, and open the heart chakra, the energy center in the body associated with love and inner peace. Opening the heart chakra releases past grievances and aligns the heart with joy.
Jade is known in Chinese medicine for its valuable healing qualities and is associated with beauty. It is also thought to encourage creativity and dispel negative energy.
Before beginning your gua sha facial massage, apply a facial oil or serum for a bit of lubrication to make the tool slide more easily across skin. Using light pressure to avoid bruising or irritating the skin, repeat each of the following steps five times:
- Starting with the neck and working in four separate sections, glide the gua sha tool in upward sweeping motions.
- Moving to the the jawline, glide the gua sha tool from the center of the chin outward toward the ear on both sides.
- For cheeks, sweep the gua sha from the side of the nose in an upward motion along the cheeks and cheekbones. This will create a flush on skin.
- With extra care, gently glide the gua sha along delicate skin under eyes, starting at the inner corner of the eye and moving outward toward temples. This will diminish signs of under eye puffiness and brighten the look of dark circles.
- Sweep the tool along each brow bone, starting at the center between brows and working outward.
- For forehead, start at the center and, working in three separate sections, glide the tool outward for a smoother appearance.
- For a plumped looking pucker, glide gua sha tool back and forth across lips.
Added bonus … used on the back of neck, gua sha offers a sense of tension release and the facial massage can alleviate feelings of sinus pressure. Daily gua sha facial massage results in a smoother, contoured, healthier appearance. Think of it as a workout for the skin and take your self care routine to the next level.